Re: is postgresql 8 is realy mature

From: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
To: Tsirkin Evgeny <tsurkin(at)mail(dot)jct(dot)ac(dot)il>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: is postgresql 8 is realy mature
Date: 2005-03-28 15:23:14
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 03:52, Tsirkin Evgeny wrote:
> Hi list!
> We are using currently postgresql 7.3.4 havily and planning an upgrade.
> our choices are either 7.4.x which comes with distribution (suse) or 8.0.1 .
> We can allow our selfs some testing time and minor changes in applications
> if needed but of course this is good to avoid .
> So the question is if the 8.0.1 is really well tested ,or maybe we
> should move
> to 7.4 or just leave 7.3 where it is?
> We wil be thankfull for any sharing of experience .

7.4.7 is very stable, and has had about two years shake down time,
counting beta testing. 8.0 is quite a bit newer, and to top it off,
includes a LOT of changes to the basic way it works.

If you've got the time to test it, I'd do so, but I'm still running
production on 7.4.7, and probably will be for at least six more months.

Slony is a great tool for testing the newer versions while keeping your
production systems on 7.3.