Script for getting a table of reponse-time breakdown

From: Jack Xue <jxue(at)regenstrief(dot)org>
To: jxue(at)regenstrief(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Script for getting a table of reponse-time breakdown
Date: 2005-03-25 15:12:05
Lists: pgsql-performance
Hi,

I am thinking about how to continuously monitor the performance of a
PostgreSQL 8 database. I am interested in two things: (1) the growth of
tables with TOAST and indexes; and (2) the respond time breakdown for a
query.

In Chapters 23 and 24 of the big manual, I found enough materials to
teach me how to do the 1st job. But I have difficulty with the 2nd one.
I found some script for Oracle
(http://www.ixora.com.au/scripts/waits.htm).

Do we have something that can do the same job for PostgreSQL 8?

Thanks.

-Jack