Re: [BUGS] General Bug Report: difficulty enabling USE_SYSLOG

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Jim Mercer <jim(at)reptiles(dot)org>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [BUGS] General Bug Report: difficulty enabling USE_SYSLOG
Date: 1999-07-23 00:47:47
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> writes:
> You have to edit config.h after running configure.  I realize this is a
> pain.  You could edit config.h.in, and configure would pick that up.
> Perhaps we need to split out the configure-based stuff from config.h.

That might be a good idea, now that so much stuff is configure-driven.
Actually I'd be inclined to leave configure producing config.h, and have
config.h #include a separate file that contains the non-machine-handled
config symbols.   "siteconfig.h", maybe.

Re the original complaint,

>> change configure to enable USE_SYSLOG if syslog facilities are available.

I do *not* think that configure should automatically turn on USE_SYSLOG
just because it can find a syslog() subroutine.  Maybe the admin wants
the log sent to syslog and maybe he doesn't.  I'd be happier with adding
a configure command line switch, say "--enable-syslog".

			regards, tom lane

pgsql-bugs by date

Next:From: webmasterDate: 1999-07-23 16:38:39