Re: Licensing

From: Robby Russell <robby(at)planetargon(dot)com>
To: Miroslav Šulc <miroslav(dot)sulc(at)startnet(dot)cz>
Cc: Lance Obermeyer <LObermey(at)pervasive(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Licensing
Date: 2005-03-05 15:57:06
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Sat, 2005-03-05 at 09:48 +0100, Miroslav Šulc wrote:
> Lance Obermeyer wrote:
>
> >MySQL is a commercial company that wants to sell licenses. Their open source offering licensed under something called the GPL (http://www.opensource.org/licenses/gpl-license.php), which is in some ways quite complex. You or your client should consult an attorney to see whether your intended use meets its terms. Based on your response from the MySQL account rep, it sounds like your app would not be in compliance.
> >

> If I understood MySQL licensing correctly, simply said, end user has two
> choices:
>
> 1) when using application that is licensed under GPL, he/she can use
> MySQL for free
> 2) when using application under any other license (simplified), he/she
> must pay for each MySQL installation

I don't think that this is completely accurate. For instance, PHP is
licensed under the PHP license, not GPL. So, according to your
statement, you cannot use any of the PHP Pear libraries (which are
typically PHP license) without a license from MySQL?

-Robby

* Robby Russell | Owner.Developer.Geek
* PLANET ARGON | www.planetargon.com
* Portland, OR | robby(at)planetargon(dot)com
* 503.351.4730 | blog.planetargon.com
* PHP/PostgreSQL Hosting & Development
* --- Now hosting Ruby on Rails Apps ---