Re: Referencing created tables fails with message that

From: Robby Russell <robby(at)planetargon(dot)com>
To: tommy(at)tommysvensson(dot)net
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Referencing created tables fails with message that
Date: 2005-02-28 02:16:02
Lists: pgsql-general
On Sun, 2005-02-27 at 18:50 -0500, Tommy Svensson wrote:
>I have just installed Postgresql and tried it for the first time.
>
>One very serious problem I ran into was when actually trying to use
>created tables.
>Creating a simple table without any foreign keys works OK, but after
>creating the
>table it is not possible to do a select on it! I tried the following
>variants:
>
>SELECT * FROM <table>;
>SELECT * FROM public.<table>;
>SELECT * FROM <schema>.public.<table>;
>
>All result in the message "The relation <table> does not exist!" or "The
>relation public.<table> does not exist!".
>
>Creating a new table with a foreign key referencing the first table is
>also impossible due to exactly the same error message!
>
>This behaviour is the same using  DBVisualizer/jdbc or psql.
>
>So the question is how do you actually reference the tables you have
>created so that postgres will find them ?
>The tables do actually get created. I can se them in DBVisualizer.
>
>I'm using version 7.4.5 on Linux Mandrake 10.1.
>
>Best Regards,
>Tommy Svensson

What do your CREATE TABLE commands look like? Also, what does \d
tablename respond with?

-Robby

* Robby Russell | Owner.Developer.Geek
* PLANET ARGON  | www.planetargon.com
* Portland, OR  | robby(at)planetargon(dot)com
* 503.351.4730  | blog.planetargon.com
* PHP/PostgreSQL Hosting & Development
* --- Now hosting Ruby on Rails Apps ---