Re: postgresql 8.0 on windows 2003 server

From: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
To: schen(at)graciousstyle(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgresql 8.0 on windows 2003 server
Date: 2005-02-26 21:08:36
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, 2005-02-25 at 17:12, Si Chen wrote:
> Hello everyone. Thanks for the answers earlier about the new 8.0 version.
>
> We have a client who is thinking about putting postgresql 8.0 on Windows
> 2003 Server, but he is concerned because this is the first version to
> run natively on windows. Are there any issues with 8.0 on Windows?

There was a report of the stats monitor dying under heavy load just the
other day. And the lack of testing in a heavy load environment would
keep me from putting the two in the data center together just now, but
it's certainly good enough for workgroup / internal use.

> Also, with Linux it was possible to improve performance by increasing
> the amount of shared memory in /etc/shmmax
> (http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/smith20010821.php3). Does this need
> to be done in Windows?

I do not know. I'd imagine giving PostgreSQL a bit of extra memory for
shared buffers would help. I don't know if you'd have to reconfigure
any part of windows to make it possible, or just change the setting in
postgresql.conf