Re: Configuration for my server

From: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
To: Marcin Giedz <marcin(dot)giedz(at)eulerhermes(dot)pl>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Configuration for my server
Date: 2005-02-24 15:38:00
Lists: pgsql-admin
On Thu, 2005-02-24 at 07:54, Marcin Giedz wrote:
> Hello...
>
> Here is my server hardware configuration: 2x Xeon 1MB Cache 3GHZ + 4GB RAM
> basicly it one of Intel Server SR2400 configuration ;) with two Seagate discs
> 146GB 15k connected with RAID1. I have installed PSQL ver. 8.0 and try to
> find best configuration. Nowadys we have about 300 clients connected to mysql
> server (we plan to switch to postgresql) but in the future there will be even
> 1 thousand clients. Can anyone please help me what should I change in
> postgresql.conf to achieve very good performance ;)

Firstly, read this document:

http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/Tidbits/perf.html

It's generally considered one of the better tuning guides for
PotsgreSQL.

Secondly, if your database is going to handle a fair bit of writing then
make sure your RAID controller has battery backed cache on it.  With 300
to 1000 users, and 5% or so writing, this isn't an option, it's a
requirement.  :)

On a fast machine with lots of memory, it often pays to drop
random_page_cost to 1.2 to 1.4 or so.

Mount your file system noatime