psql's \h listing of commands doesn't look nice anymore

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: psql's \h listing of commands doesn't look nice anymore
Date: 2008-01-20 19:23:52
Lists: pgsql-bugs

8.3's admittedly-pretty-verbose new commands for text search
configuration do not play nice with psql's \h listing of "available
help". I see stuff like

ALTER LANGUAGE CREATE TABLE EXECUTE
ALTER OPERATOR CLASS CREATE TABLE AS EXPLAIN
ALTER OPERATOR CREATE TABLESPACE FETCH
ALTER OPERATOR FAMILY CREATE TRIGGER GRANT
ALTER ROLE CREATE TEXT SEARCH CONFIGURATIONINSERT

ALTER SCHEMA CREATE TEXT SEARCH DICTIONARYLISTEN

ALTER SEQUENCE CREATE TEXT SEARCH PARSER LOAD
ALTER TABLE CREATE TEXT SEARCH TEMPLATELOCK

ALTER TABLESPACE CREATE TYPE MOVE
ALTER TRIGGER CREATE USER NOTIFY

Not sure if we want to consider dropping down to two columns, but in any
case I'd say a minimum requirement is at least two spaces between one
command and the one beside it (not one space, since we have multi-word
commands). The code needs to handle that properly even when a command
name is wider than the column. The trailing spaces aren't working out
well here, either --- that's what's causing the blank lines.