Re: WIP: pl/pgsql cleanup

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WIP: pl/pgsql cleanup
Date: 2005-02-07 23:56:55
Lists: pgsql-patches
> My recollection is that I was not nearly as worried about short-term
> pallocs in the plpgsql code itself, as about leakage in various main-
> backend routines that get called incidentally during parsing.
> backend/parser/ is quite cavalier about this as a whole, because it
> expects to be called in contexts that are not long-lived.

Hmmm. What about switching the CurrentMemoryContext to the function's
long-lived context when we invoke plpgsql_yyparse(), but keeping it as
the short-lived context during the rest of the compilation process? This
unfortunately complicates the memory management model still further, but
it should significantly reduce the chance of any memory leaks.

-Neil