Re: Patch: use SCM_CREDS authentication over PF_LOCAL sockets

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Patch: use SCM_CREDS authentication over PF_LOCAL sockets
Date: 2001-08-18 15:04:39
Lists: pgsql-patches

> Since this patch overwrites the previous SO_PEERCRED patch I assume you
> want it to work on Linux, too. On Linux SCM_CREDS is called
> SCM_CREDENTIALS.

Overwrite? It looks like an addition to me. I think the #ifdef tests
in ident_unix are in the wrong order, however: we should prefer
SO_PEERCRED if available, since that works with old clients. As written
the postmaster code will select SCM_CREDS if both methods are available,
which is the wrong choice IMHO.

> The invocation
> changes to StrNCpy look suspicious; see the comment at StrNCpy in c.h. In
> one place you include errno.h twice.

These are good points.