Re: Help with subselect (first time)

From: "Rodolfo J(dot) Paiz" <rpaiz(at)simpaticus(dot)com>
To: Sean Davis <sdavis2(at)mail(dot)nih(dot)gov>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Help with subselect (first time)
Date: 2005-02-05 03:40:29
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Fri, 2005-02-04 at 20:43 -0500, Sean Davis wrote:
> If these are two tables, called A and B, then doing:
>
> select B.month,days,flts from A,B where A.month=B.month;
>
> will give you your table. If you need all "months", then using:
>
> select B.month,days,flts from B left outer join A on A.month=B.month;

The two "tables" shown above are result sets to which I have a handle.
It is my understanding that I can treat them as tables (albeit temporary
ones) until they are released. Is that understanding incorrect?

Getting all the months listed is *exactly* what I want. I'll try your
query a bit later, thanks.

> As for SQL, there are numerous websites (do a google search for SQL
> tutorial) to learn how to do joins as well as many books, several of which
> are online. The postgresql documentation has a tutorial section that
> includes links to a couple of books.

Yup, still working through so much documentation it makes my head spin.
I've been reading a good hour a day, and a couple of times substantially
more than that, since I started this little HTML/PHP/PEAR/PGSQL project.

That's why I usually include a phrase like "answers or pointers to
relevent docs welcome". Sometimes I haven't yet gotten to the point of
knowing which doc to read. Then a URL does wonders for me... RTFM is so
much easier when you find the FM. :-)

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz(at)simpaticus(dot)com>