Re: subselects in the target list

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: subselects in the target list
Date: 2005-02-03 05:02:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> The syntax you are showing is designed
> to return a scalar.  It will (and should) barf on multiple rows as well
> as multiple columns.

I don't understand; the example I posted is of an SRF that returns
multiple rows of multiple columns, which is transformed into multiple
rows of a single column of composite type.

> I'm unconvinced that it's worth fixing
> considering that this whole behavior (SRFs in the targetlist) is
> deprecated.

It is? I think if we polished it somewhat, this is reasonably cool
functionality to have, and is consistent with the 8.0 work to make
composite types more widely usable.