Re: applications needed for client port?

From: Neil Dugan <postgres(at)butterflystitches(dot)com(dot)au>
To: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: applications needed for client port?
Date: 2005-02-01 21:00:38
Lists: pgsql-ports
On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 11:06 +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Neil Dugan wrote:
> > I am porting just the front end part of PostgreSQL to the Amiga OS4.
> > I have managed to get psql to work.  I intended to get pg_dump and
> > pg_dumpall going next.  I was wondering what else is needed to enable
> > the PostgreSQL client to work fully, I am only interested in the
> > front end (i.e. client) stuff at the moment.
>
> That depends entirely on what you define as a "full client".  Certainly,
> psql and pg_dump would be good candidates, but some might consider a
> reasonable client to include a GUI, say.

I'm not porting any GUI (too many differences).  I was just wondering
what shell commands might be wanted by users that only use libpq to
connect to the server.

> > Also I am interested in what would be needed to intergrate (if
> > possible) the changes I have made into the main CVS of PostgeSQL.
> >
> > There are some difficultes with this,
> > 1) I can't run the configure script
>
> Why?

No bash compatible shell, no 'sed' or 'chmod' or many others.

> > 2) I have created my own 'pg_config.h' file, and make files (2 so
> > far). 3) I had to remove the definitions of the 'struct Node'
> >    and 'struct List' leaving only the typedefs, as these
> >    conflicted with a lot of standard include files.
>
> Details please.

This is the changes I think has the most chance of affecting anyone
else.
--------------------------------------
in src/include/nodes/nodes.h
#ifdef __AMIGAOS4__
typedef struct {
	NodeTag		type;
} Node;
#else
typedef struct Node {
	NodeTag		type;
} Node;
#endif
--------------------------------------
in src/include/nodes/pg_list.h
#ifdef __AMIGAOS4__
typedef struct
{
	NodeTag		type;
	union
	{
		void	   *ptr_value;
		int			int_value;
		Oid			oid_value;
	}			elem;
	void *next;
} List;
#else
typedef struct List
{
	NodeTag		type;
	union
	{
		void	   *ptr_value;
		int			int_value;
		Oid			oid_value;
	}			elem;
	struct 	List *next;
} List;
#endif
--------------------------------------

Most of the other changes where to do with which code to compile, WIN32
code or Linux code.  All under compile defines.

> > Another question I have is how much the fronted changes from version
> > to version?
>
> By 37% on average.
>
> No seriously, what do you want to know?

How often does the code for libpq change, making older revision of libpq
not work with newer version of the database server?
Currently I an using a libpq compiled from 7.4.2 code with the database
server version 7.4.6.  I expect that the communication protocol between
libpq and the database server would be quite stable.

Regards Neil.