Re: COMMENT ON mega patch

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: COMMENT ON mega patch
Date: 2003-11-21 22:45:23
Lists: pgsql-patches

Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> This patch does the following:
> 1. Comment on 5 new objects:
> [ etc ]

Reviewed and applied. Couple things I didn't like:

* You were using a bare C string as the amname argument in COMMENT ON
OPERATOR CLASS. This won't do because the parse tree is not a valid
Node structure; copyObject will fail on it. I inserted makeString()
and strVal() calls to fix it.

BTW, a simple test to detect uncopiable-parsetree problems is to compile
with COPY_PARSE_PLAN_TREES defined. Doing so revealed that you're not
the only person to have made this mistake lately --- ALTER SEQUENCE is
broken too.

* I made the macros LARGE and OBJECT be LARGE_P and OBJECT_P; they
seemed just a little too ripe for conflicts as-is ...

* The pg_dump code for COMMENT ON OPCLASS pretty obviously had not been
tested :-(