Output HTML, or just a handle?

From: "Rodolfo J(dot) Paiz" <rpaiz(at)simpaticus(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Output HTML, or just a handle?
Date: 2005-01-25 01:47:27
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi!

Looking for "best practices" here. I've just seen that psql can output a
query to an HTML file. If I am creating a query within a web page, is it
generally recommended to get HTML output from PostgreSQL? If so, where
can I learn about how to put this in a query and how to control it with
finer-grained detail as regards column borders, fonts, etc?

Or is it recommended to just run the bare query, then use PHP on my
webpage to loop through the resulting output table handle and create the
table there? And if so, just so I don't reinvent the wheel more than
once a day, can someone point me to any code snippets previously written
on this? (That I can legally use, of course...)

Thanks for any advice. I promise not to post more questions tonight. :-)

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz(at)simpaticus(dot)com>