Re: [GENERAL] Oracle and Postgresql Play Nice Together on

From: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
To: Troyston Campano <troygeekdatabase(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org,'Ian Barwick' <barwick(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Oracle and Postgresql Play Nice Together on
Date: 2005-01-20 16:39:29
Lists: pgsql-adminpgsql-general
On Thu, 2005-01-20 at 06:58, Troyston Campano wrote:
> I guess what I am concerned about *is* running on a production server more
> than a test server. Basically, I'd be taking a couple applications that are
> running on the Oracle database instance, building a Postgresql instance, and
> migrating them to that postgresql database instance. I'm just wondering
> whether it's a bad idea to run them on the same server machine in a
> production environment. (So instead of having 10 applications running on
> Oracle on ServerComputerA...build a new postgresql instance on
> ServerComputerA that lives along with Oracle and migrating 3 of the
> applications to Postgresql.

Have you got a spare machine you can do the testing on at first?  That
will allow you to throw big nasty queries at the server and tune it
first, before putting postgresql on the production box.

I'd recommend reading the tuning document from varlena:

http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/Tidbits/perf.html

And experimenting with various settings on a test box first.  My first
PostgreSQL server way back when was running 6.5.2 or so on my P-II-300
workstation with 128 Megs of ram sitting under my desk, and it ran quite
well, well enough we used it as our development / staging server for
almost a year.