Which PARAMETER is most important for load query??

From: amrit(at)health2(dot)moph(dot)go(dot)th
To: PGsql-performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Which PARAMETER is most important for load query??
Date: 2005-01-20 15:45:05
Lists: pgsql-performance

I'm dealing with big database [3.8 Gb] and records of 3 millions . Some of the
query seems to be slow eventhough just a few users in the night. I would like
to know which parameter list below is most effective in rising the speed of
these queries?

Shmmax = 32384*8192 =265289728
Share buffer = 32384
sort_mem = 34025 <===== I guess increase this one is most effective but too
high cause reading the swap , is that right?
effective cache = 153204

My server has 4 Gb. ram and ~ 140 clients in rush hours.

Amrit
Thailand