Re: pgdump

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreak(at)officenet(dot)no>, Enrico <scotty(at)linuxtime(dot)it>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgdump
Date: 2005-01-17 05:43:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> A little further down-thread there was some discussion of also allowing
> wild cards in the individual switches, eg
>
> -t 's1.*'
>
> (This would differ from '-n s1' in that a -t switch would restrict the
> dump to tables only, whereas -n should take every sort of object in the
> selected schema.)

Is this actually useful behavior? My gut feeling is "no", but I'm open
to debate. ISTM that the combination of "-n" and "-t" achieves a pretty
wide swath of the desired functionality. Considering that the various
combinations of these switches is already quite complex, I think it
would be wise to avoid additional, unnecessary complications. Plus it
avoids the need to play games with escaping the wildcard from the shell.

> * what about quoting/downcasing rules?

If we don't implement wildcards, I don't believe we will need to change
the present behavior of the "-n" and "-t" switches WRT case conversion
etc.

-Neil