Re: More Code Page wierdness

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: More Code Page wierdness
Date: 2005-01-11 10:11:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

On Tue, 2005-01-11 at 10:20 +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > > The problem seemed to be code page related...
> >
> > > If you set listen_addresses="*" then the pgsql server doesn't
> > > recognise this because * in one code page is different from * in
> > > another. It looks like a *, but it isn't...
> >
> > I don't even know what a code page is, let alone what you
> > envision us doing about it. How can my response to the above
> > be anything except "Windows is too horribly broken to even
> > contemplate supporting"?
>
> Code page = encoding. Or to use the exact definition from MSDN: "A table
> that associates specific ASCII or EBCDIC values with specific
> characters."

The code page is a mechanism for dynamically changing the character
encoding. Saying "I have an encoding issue" is slightly different to
having the wrong code page loaded and then experiencing the resulting
wierdness.

Not sure whether to recommend a solution or not yet, still trying to
make it work consistenly - i.e. reinstalling.

--
Best Regards, Simon Riggs