Re: Not connect to server!

From: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
To: Amauri Pimenta <amauripimenta(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Not connect to server!
Date: 2004-12-30 14:20:06
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Thu, 2004-12-30 at 07:46, Amauri Pimenta wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Well, i just try to connect to server, but without successfull!
>
> the error is "Is the server running on host "172.22.0.23" and
> accepting TCP/IP Connections on port 5432?"
>
> Just look documentation and follow the steps and the error continue!
>
> Please, help me! its urgent!

Are you starting your database with pg_ctl or by typing postmaster by
hand? If you're using pg_ctl, edit your $PGDATA/postgresql.conf file to
have tcpip_socket = true, and edit $PGDATA/pg_hba.conf to allow your
machine to connect. Look for a line that looks like this:

host all all 127.0.0.1 255.255.255.0 trust

and edit accordingly, then restart your server.

If you're starting postmaster by hand, I'd recommend switching to using
pg_ctl. Generally running postmaster by hand is done by people more
expert at running postgresql than folks not sure why they can't get
TCP/IP connections to work. :)