Re: Prepared transactions vs novice DBAs, again

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Prepared transactions vs novice DBAs, again
Date: 2009-04-22 20:26:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> Comments? Anyone seriously opposed to making the default be zero?

> I am not opposed to making the default zero. I am also +1 on adding the
> warnings.

What I think we could/should do about that for 8.4 is to improve the
HINTs associated with the impending-wraparound warnings in varsup.c,
so that they mention cleaning out old prepared transactions as another
thing you might need to do. A more extensive solution --- in
particular, adding warnings that occur at some lower threshold than
the wraparound warnings --- seems to me to require more changes than
we should consider post-beta. It might be worth working on for 8.5
though.

(In case it's not clear, I'm envisioning changing the
max_prepared_transactions default for 8.4. It won't be a big change
if we do it as Heikki suggests.)