Need help with ODBC Driver development

From: Sudip Banerjee <sudip(at)litrol(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Need help with ODBC Driver development
Date: 2004-12-13 23:59:12
Lists: pgsql-odbc

I am currently in the beginning processes of development for an ODBC driver. I really need direction in how to basically create one and I hope you can get me into contact with somebody who can give me pointers. The areas I need help with are the following:

What is the exact format of the ODBC .dll that needs to be created so that it is recognized by windows?

What code is needed to able to register the ODBC driver in the registry and to make it show up as a data source?

When the ODBC driver shows up as a data source and you click to add a driver and double click on the ODBC driver, how is
that menu created which shows the configuration for ODBC?

How do you make the ODBC driver recognize incoming SQL calls so the functions within are called automatically?

I know there are entry points to the .dll but how does it recognize the SQL calls coming in?

In what format can I access the output from the .dll?

Also, if I make the ODBC driver in C++, can I make a C# program to access the outcoming data directly?

Also, can you please let me know about a way to create an .msi file which is used to install an ODBC driver on a windows system.

How is that file created and how can I make it so it automatically installs the ODBC driver that I want to create?

Finally, I tried to compile the psqlodbc source that was provided on the website but it would not complete. Is there a way to fully compile this project to create a .dll on windows?

This questions I have above are basic questions in regards to ODBC development but with somebody who has experience in making one can really help me out here. Please let me know who I can talk to in regards to my questions. Thank you very much.

If you can let me know about these processes, that would be very much appreciated! Thanks!