Re: BUG #1466: #maintenace_work_mem = 16384

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Cc: "Joe Brown" <joebrown(at)rclooke(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #1466: #maintenace_work_mem = 16384
Date: 2005-02-11 15:31:59
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net> writes:
> Can defaults be set to the result of a function?

By "power-on default" I mean the value that the variable is assigned as
its static initializer. That has to be a link-time constant (at least
in C ...). Anything else will mean misbehavior if an error occurs
before the GUC code itself has been able to initialize.

> The problem with changing the default from stderr to eventlog is that it
> will send the messages to the eventlog even if running from the console,
> which is not good.

It's not perfect maybe, but it's certainly less bad than the present
behavior. At least we know that the eventlog will always exist on
Windows. I'm not sure how interesting the running-from-the-console
case actually is for Windows users anyway.