SQL conformance related patch

From: Troels Arvin <troels(at)arvin(dot)dk>
To: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: SQL conformance related patch
Date: 2004-11-25 11:24:35
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-patches

Hello,

Simon Riggs, Elein Mustain, and I have worked on adjustments to the
information schema and parts of the documentation to reflect upcoming
changes in PostgreSQL 8 and changes from SQL:1999 to SQL:2003.

Attached is the result of that: A "diff -c" patch for current CVS HEAD.
The patch is also available via HTTP[1].

The patch subsumes Simon's patch of November 21 with subject "SQL
Conformance introductory section"[2]. Peter's objection to Simon's
choice of words has been accommodated.

We've had some discussions regarding feature ID F411 (Time zone
specification). If we were to be strict, PostgreSQL's support for F411
should be changed to NO, due to a difference in TIMESTAMP literal
handling. As it is, the status remains YES, but a comment has been added
in the information schema, and the datetime documentation has been
expanded a bit.

Simon also has ideas for improvement of the conformance documentation
page (features.sgml), but that's probably a version 8.1 thing. I think
he'd better describe the ideas himself.

The list of probably-not-but-just-maybe-supported features in my message
as of October 20[3] remains unchanged, but as previously discussed on
this list, time is running out.

As previously mentioned, I've created a little list of "low hanging
fruits" for PostgreSQL's standards-conformance - i.e. features in
SQL:2003 which PostgreSQL currently doesn't support but which might
actually be relatively easy to implement:
http://troels.arvin.dk/db/pgsql/conformance/low-hanging-fruits.txt