Call for objections: removing contrib/rserv for 8.0

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Call for objections: removing contrib/rserv for 8.0
Date: 2004-08-22 18:26:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

There has been some previous discussion of removing the contrib/rserv
module, on the grounds that (1) it's horribly obsolete and unmaintained,
and (2) its presence in the core distribution may mislead users into not
considering the newer better replication solutions available elsewhere
(erserver, slony, etc).

Although plans for a more general cleanup of contrib/ will have to go
back on the shelf for a future release, the core committee is still of
the opinion that it'd be wise to remove rserv in 8.0. Anyone who
really wants it will always be able to get it from our CVS archives or
old release tarballs, but we really should be pushing them to use
something else. AFAIK, everything worth salvaging from rserv is
present in the descendant rservimp project on gborg.

Is there anyone out there who'd like to object?