Using PostgreSQL As A Personal Database

From: "Jeff Flowers" <duckfoo(at)fastmail(dot)fm>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Using PostgreSQL As A Personal Database
Date: 2004-11-22 19:55:50
Lists: pgsql-novice

After a friend's house recently caught fire, I decided that it would be
a good idea to catalog my comic collection (for insurance purposes if
nothing else). I estimate that I have some four hundred books and my
collection grows every month.

Since I prefer working at the Unix command line environment, my first
thought was to create a flat file text database and manage it with
command line tools, like grep, but as my collection grows I can envision
where it might be useful to maintain it in PostgreSQL.

So my question is: how much data needs to be stored before PostgreSQL is
worth the effort? Also, do people even use PostgreSQL at home for
personal, non-weblog stuff?

Thanks.

--
Jeff Flowers