Re: eWeek Poll: Which database is most critical to your

From: "Rod Taylor" <rbt(at)barchord(dot)com>
To: "Neil Conway" <nconway(at)klamath(dot)dyndns(dot)org>, "Dann Corbit" <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: eWeek Poll: Which database is most critical to your
Date: 2002-02-27 00:21:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

If you were to expire the cache when the table was updated it wouldn't
be so bad, and you certainly don't want to cache everything under the
assumption something may come along -- as it probably won't. But if
you're interested in speeding this up I can't see any harm in adding a
stat into statistics that stores query frequency. If the frequency
goes above a certain notch (without the results changing -- static
table data) then cache results.

However, I think 99% of these cases could be easily rectified with a
php interface which caches the results into memory at the users
request as I really don't see hundreds of machines making the same
queries frequently -- rather 1 or 2 poorly written ones :)

Then again, I regularly hit one row database tables which act as
markers for data changes to see if the program should reload the
entire data set. (Parallel machines for interface purposes cache
table data in ram normally, but test for changes with every request --
goal was that they shouldn't have to communicate to eachother). But a
1 row table is very quick to select from. Can this make it faster, if
so it'll be useful.

Anyway, write it up. If you can speed up some without making a hit
against others it'll be a large advantage.
--
Rod Taylor

This message represents the official view of the voices in my head