Re: [GENERAL] FTP mirror problems

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] FTP mirror problems
Date: 2004-11-09 21:13:41
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-www

On Tue, 2004-11-09 at 13:21, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Nov 2004, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
> > * We are keeping some very old versions around: 1.08, 1.09, the entire 6
> > series. Is there any reason for this? For that matter, is there any reason
> > to keep around lesser versions in a tree, especially ones that were replaced
> > due to security bugs? Perhaps only keep the latest few versions and put a
> > note in the readme to point to "archives.postgresql.org" or something?
> >
> > At the very least, a warning that some of the versions on the site have
> > serious security flaws would be warranted.
>
> Historical, but we could easily create a source/OLD directory to move them
> into, so they are less prominent?

IMHO they should be left as is. I've certainly had to make use of older
versions of the software in the past, and would not presume to know when
others won't want them in the future. We keep a link to "latest" in the
main directory, and I'm willing to believe most people are capable of
figuring out which is the latest 7.3.x branch on their own (at least
until I see evidence to the contrary).

Robert Treat