tablespaces for temporary files

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: tablespaces for temporary files
Date: 2004-10-29 05:51:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers
I'd like to provide a way for DBAs to specify that the temporary files
needed to for sorting, holdable cursors and similar operations should be
created in a particular tablespace. (Right now these files are created
in the tablespace associated with the current database.)

Two ways to do this come to mind: via a GUC variable, or by setting a
property of CREATE DATABASE (that could be altered via ALTER DATABASE).
I think using a GUC variable is probably the better bet: it is more
flexible, since ALTER DATABASE ... SET and ALTER USER ... SET can be
used to define the GUC variable automatically for particular users and

So I'd like to add a GUC variable called something like
"scratch_tablespace". If undefined (the default), temporary files for
sorting/etc. will be created in the current database's tablespace. If
set to the name of an existent tablespace, that tablespace will be used
for temporary storage. If set to a nonexistent tablespace, a warning
will be printed and we'll fallback to using the current database's

Regarding naming, I considered calling the GUC variable
"temporary_tablespace" or something similar, but it seems to me that
this might cause confusion with temporary tables -- furthermore, it
might be an interesting feature to define a "temporary table tablespace"
in the future, leading to yet more confusion. I think "scratch
tablespace" is a pretty decent name for this concept, but I'm open to