Re: Slony-I 1.0.4 Released

From: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Slony-I 1.0.4 Released
Date: 2004-10-23 15:59:26
Lists: pgsql-announce pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 2004-10-22 at 22:26 -0400, Christopher Browne wrote:
> > I suspected it, I currently can not use it because of this. Any
> > chance to have a slony rpm compatible with the 7.4.5 rpm ?
>
> If someone contributes RPM packages, using the same GCC and the same
> RPM source RPM, then presumably it's possible.
>
> There's a BSD port, so it has proven of enough interest to attract
> contributions there. There's not yet a Debian package or an RPM for
> one or another of the RPM-based distributions; hopefully interested
> parties will find opportunity to build such.

I'm interested in providing a Debian package, but the need to have the
postgresql source tree available is a problem. At the moment, unless I
incorporate slony-I into the postgresql source package, I can't package
it; the Debian autobuilders cannot be configured to build one package
(postgresql) and then keep its source around while another package is
built.

I thought someone was working on making a subsection of postgresql that
would be sufficient to let packages like Slony-I build independently; is
that making any progress? If not, what files from the source tree does
Slony-I need for its build? I could make a binary package to provide
just those and make that one a Build-dependency for the Slony-I package.

--
Oliver Elphick olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
Isle of Wight http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver