Re: Autovacuum in the backend

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)surnet(dot)cl>
Cc: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Qingqing Zhou <zhouqq(at)cs(dot)toronto(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Autovacuum in the backend
Date: 2005-06-16 05:32:16
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)surnet(dot)cl> writes:
> A question for interested parties. I'm thinking in handling the
> user/password issue by reading the flat files (the copies of pg_shadow,
> pg_database, etc).

Er, what "user/password issue"? Context please.

> The only thing that I'd need to modify is add the datdba field to
> pg_database, so we can figure out an appropiate user for vacuuming each
> database.

The datdba is not necessarily a superuser, and therefore is absolutely
not the right answer for any question related to autovacuum. But in
any case, I would expect that an integrated-into-the-backend autovac
implementation would be operating at a level below any permission checks
--- so this question shouldn't be relevant anyway.