Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Infrastructure TODO list

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>,PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>,PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Infrastructure TODO list
Date: 2004-09-30 09:52:32
Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-www
On Thu, 2004-09-30 at 17:49, Dave Page wrote:
> All the other issues are/have been worked on:

I'm glad to see that improvements are being made. However, part of the
reason I think we need additional changes is that it took *so long* to
make these improvements in the first place; the archives have been
semi-functional (at best!) for many months (years?), for example.

> Now much as I like a good debate, can we please at least stop going over
> old ground

I think part of the problem may be that while this may be "old ground"
to a relatively small cabal of individuals, the community at large isn't
aware of the efforts being made to improve the infrastructure, and is
frustrated by the current state of affairs. It is easy to dismiss the
discussion as "uninformed debate" -- but if Bruce and other active
contributors are "uninformed" about the current state of affairs, I
think that might suggest a problem in and of itself. Perhaps maintaining
a public TODO list of legitimate items for improvement would be one way
to inform people about what work needs to be done?

-Neil