Re: multiple out parameters implementation

From: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
To: Barry Lind <blind(at)xythos(dot)com>
Cc: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>, "pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: multiple out parameters implementation
Date: 2004-09-16 16:28:39
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Barry, Kris,

The "hack" is much smaller now thanks to Oliver's changes in the
backend.

It's now only minor changes.

Although, at this point nobody has asked for it. That might change once
8.1 supports them and people start expecting the same behaviour in
previous versions.

Attached is the proof of concept patch, which when I look at it is
larger than I remembered, but alot of the changes would be compatible,
ie all of the changes to getXXX()

Dave
On Thu, 2004-09-16 at 12:01, Barry Lind wrote:
> I agree with Kris' reasoning. I haven't liked this hack from the day it
> was first proposed by Redhat/Fijitsu. I had come to accept it as a
> necessary evil since I had given up on the backend ever supporting this
> natively.
>
> The best situation would be to have this in the backend. Second best
> would be to implement Dave's changes and have the backend never support
> it. Worst would be to have two incompatible implementations (in both
> the driver and the backend) (think bytea vs LO but worse since I am not
> sure it would be possible to toggle between two different ways of
> dealing with multiple out parameters).
>
> --Barry

Dave Cramer
519 939 0336