Re: Should pg_dump refuse to run if DB has different version?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Should pg_dump refuse to run if DB has different version?
Date: 2000-04-04 14:42:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut <e99re41(at)DoCS(dot)UU(dot)SE> writes:
>> A downside is that a pg_dump might refuse to dump a DB that it actually
>> would work with;

> Well, the fact remains that 6.5 (and probably earlier) pg_dump doesn't
> work with 7.0 databases unless you fix the getInherits() function to do
> different things with different backends. Or what did you mean with "would
> actually work"?

I was just speculating about possible future problems. Given the code
I committed last night, a 7.0 pg_dump will refuse to run with a 7.1
database (or vice versa, unless we change the version-checking code
before 7.1 is released). Now maybe that combination would have worked
anyway --- but we don't know yet.

I did put in a switch to override the version check, so if you know it
will work you can use that switch.