Confused with db client encoding

From: Carlos Correia <carlos(at)m16e(dot)com>
To: Lista geralPostgreSQL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Confused with db client encoding
Date: 2004-09-05 23:02:24
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

Here is the output a psql session. Please notice that the identation
inconsistences in the records containg non ASCII chars is as outputed by
psql.

The db was created with LANIN9 and the console was ran (in the same
machine) using UTF-8 (my system's default).

I was surprised to notice that setting the client to unicode (which is
what that console is using) messed the localized chars as I was
expecting to see the opposite way.

On the other way, when invoking from a Java app, running on the same
machine, the accentuaded chars also appeared messed.

Have I misunderstood the manual? How can I get a consistant behaviour?

It was tested in a Debian/unstable box, running PostgreSQL 7.4.5-3 and
Sun's JVM 1.4.2

Thanks,

Carlos

psql session:
-----
mpb2-m16e=# \l
List of databases
Name | Owner | Encoding
-----------+----------+----------
mpb2-test | carlos | LATIN9
template0 | postgres | LATIN9
template1 | postgres | LATIN9
(3 rows)

mpb2-m16e=# select tipo_doc_id, nome, descricao from tab_tipo_doc where
tipo_doc_id < 100;
tipo_doc_id | nome | descricao
-------------+----------------------+---------------------------------------
0 | | (documento desconhecido)
1 | Encomenda | Encomendas
2 | Factura | Facturas
3 | Tx. Dinheiro | Transacções a Dinheiro
11 | Nota de Crédito | Notas de Crédito
12 | Nota de Débito | Notas de Débito
21 | G. Remessa | Guia de Remessa
91 | Saída Armazém | Saídas de Armazém
92 | Ent. Armazém | Entradas em Armazém
5 | Devolução | Devoluções de Facturas/Tx. Dinheiro
99 | Acerto Inv. | Acerto de Inventário
51 | O.T. | Ordens de Trabalho
(12 rows)

mpb2-m16e=# set client_encoding to unicode;
SET