Re: PostGRE SQL installation issues

From: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Kesav(dot)Tadimeti(at)ubs(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostGRE SQL installation issues
Date: 2004-08-30 16:18:40
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Mon, 2004-08-30 at 15:38, Kesav(dot)Tadimeti(at)ubs(dot)com wrote:
> hi all
> I use FreeBSD 4.10. I downloaded the packages for PostGRE SQL (7.4.2),
> and installed the packages.
> I also happened to see the messages "created user postgres" & "created
> group postgres".
> Then executed the initdb and started the postgres server.
> Now when I do a ps, postgres shows up.
>
> How do I go about creating a sample database (does a preconfigured
> sample DB exist)?
> regardless of whether I issue createdb or createuser, I get the error:
> user xxx not found.

The newly-created user postgres will be th eone which owns the database
and the only user to exist in the new database cluster.

You must create yourself as an administrator user first, by becoming the
postgres user:

$ su
# su - postgres
$ createuser -a -d yourself
$ exit
# exit
$ creatdb your_database

> Thanks for any help
>
> Tk
>
> Visit our website at http://www.ubs.com

> for the individual named.

Sorry for reading this without permission.

> If you are not the named addressee you
> should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please

Oliver Elphick olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
Isle of Wight http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver
GPG: 1024D/A54310EA 92C8 39E7 280E 3631 3F0E 1EC0 5664 7A2F A543 10EA
"For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the
whole world, and lose his own soul?" Mark 8:36