Re: PostgreSQL giving jitters to Skypak

From: Rod Taylor <pg(at)rbt(dot)ca>
To: aspire420(at)hotpop(dot)com
Cc: Postgresql Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL giving jitters to Skypak
Date: 2004-08-24 17:33:40
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
> This story is a blow for PostgreSQL
>
> http://www.cxotoday.com/cxo/jsp/index.jsp?log=false&file=template1.jsp&section_code=1&section=News&storyid=1383&subsection_code=1&subsection=Business&source=cxtnl&userid=aspire420(at)hotpop(dot)com

> thoughts ?

Excellent news.

The whole article is centred around a company moving away from
PostgreSQL to a vendor which they have not chosen at this point.

A whole article! It's not an article about a company choosing to DB2 or
MSSQL with a mention that they were using "an Opensource database" or
even a final comment stating that they have used PostgreSQL in the past
-- but a whole article around a company moving away from PostgreSQL.

You'll notice they mention "new database platform", which the author of
the piece implies will include both hardware and software. I bet Oracle
on a Quad Opteron and 8GB ram could beat the pants of PostgreSQL on a
Dual Xeon with 1GB ram ;)

Their qmail based mail solution is on a single Dell 1750 -- which also
deserved a mention for some reason.

Welcome to the big leagues -- we're making headlines on fluff pieces.