Re: database troubles - various errors

From: "Scott Marlowe" <smarlowe(at)qwest(dot)net>
To: "A Palmblad" <adampalmblad(at)yahoo(dot)ca>
Cc: "General Postgres" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: database troubles - various errors
Date: 2004-08-23 20:20:15
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 11:51, A Palmblad wrote:
> Memory has been tested, and it was okay. What's the best way to test the
> CPU and hard drive / controller?
> -Adam

What method did you use for testing the memory?

For testing the hard drive I usually write a large file of random /
semi-random garbage that I have the md5 for, then md5 what's on the
disk. Over and over, usually for days when testing a new server. The
CPU will cause many other problems should it really be acting up. While
it's a remote possibility the CPU is causing the problems, it's more
likely another bit of hardware, if not a kernel / fs bug.

I'd read the article the other poster mentioned, and try a different FS
to see if the problem goes away. I'm not quite as leery of Gentoo as
the other fellow, but I probably wouldn't be using it in production
either.

Do you have an unusual setup? HW/RAID/LVM etc?