Re: 7.3.4 Table corruption

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Farmer <mail(at)andrewfarmer(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 7.3.4 Table corruption
Date: 2004-08-26 01:56:50
Lists: pgsql-admin

Andrew Farmer <mail(at)andrewfarmer(dot)com> writes:
> My question is, if I load the good dump into a clean database, and then
> find the underlying file that represents the broken table and copy it
> over the top of the broken table, am I likely to face any big problems?

This strikes me as a real good way to shoot yourself in the foot ;-).
Better take a backup and be prepared to restore from it. And I'd
suggest experimenting in a scratch installation before you try it for
real.

Having said that, I think it would work, if your "clean database" is
another DB in the same cluster (you could *not* copy from data prepared
under a different postmaster). And you'll need to copy all the indexes
on that table, and its toast table and toast table index if it has one.
And shut down the postmaster while you do the copying.