Re: pgsql: Fix for Unicode characters above 0x10000.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Fix for Unicode characters above 0x10000.
Date: 2004-12-03 01:31:30
Lists: pgsql-committers
> I don't know the answers to any of these questions.  I don't even
> understand the purpose of the patch.  However, no one object to it nor
> did they say anything when it went into the queue, so it was applied.

I was waiting for Tatsuo to comment on it --- he's certainly the
best-qualified person.  But in any case I was expecting it would be
held for 8.1.  Even if it's fine as far as the MB code itself goes,
I don't think we can assume that the rest of the system is good to
go with wide characters wider than we have tested before.  (Example:
before 7.4 the regex code was definitely unable to handle chars wider
than 16 bits.  I think it would be all right now, but it's untested.)