Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0

From: Robby Russell <robby(at)planetargon(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0
Date: 2004-08-14 00:53:23
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
On Fri, 2004-08-13 at 17:34, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> >>to mention three companies I've never heard of."
> >>
> >>"Oh, my beloved PostgreSQL is being taken over by evil corporations."
> >>
> >>Who cares about business momentum anyway?  Tell me about feature
> >>momentum.
> >

> > Beautifully put.
>
> But not accurately. Business people are an extremely important portion
> of the community to please and one of the things that business people
> like to see, are businesses backing a project.
>
> Linux was not nearly as popular as it is today until people like RedHat
> and SuSE made deals with people like IBM and Oracle.
>
> > Should we expect that when linux kernel 3.0 is out that we'll see
> > mentions of Red Hat and Novell selling great commercial versions that
> > use kernel 3.0?
>
> Actually I bet you will.

You might find company names that are thanked, but you are not going to
see mention of a specific product mentioned. I should have worded that
differently. It would probably be a safe bet to say that they wouldn't
mention the new release of Novell SuSE Linux in the press release.

> > In my opinion, I would stick to what is included in 8.0 when you
> > download the package off the site. plPerlNG, plPHP, Slony-I, etc are all
> > ADDONs and should be represented as such.
>
> Well plPerlNG is in core and will be shipped with PostgreSQL 8. plPHp
> and Slony-I are addons.

See, I learned something today. ;-)

> > Otherwise you get a bunch of
> > people who didn't read the release properly, download it..install it and
> > find that you dont see plPHP in contribs/ and where is this Slony
> > replication they spoke of? Hmm, not in the source tree.
>
> You are kidding right? People who are going to bother downloading the
> source, compiling and installing will read know what they are getting.
> The ones that don't are going to be an extremely small lot.

Ok, or those who apt-get install it, RPM, etc... or better yet..
download the exe (win32) and install it. Same problem. Regardless of
source install or not, this only adds confusion.

-Robby

* Robby Russell | Owner.Developer.Geek
* PLANET ARGON  | www.planetargon.com
* Portland, OR  | robby(at)planetargon(dot)com
* 503.351.4730  | blog.planetargon.com
* PHP/PostgreSQL Hosting & Development