Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0

From: Robby Russell <robby(at)planetargon(dot)com>
To: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0
Date: 2004-08-14 00:24:49
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
On Fri, 2004-08-13 at 14:22, Christopher Browne wrote:
> In the last exciting episode, jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com ("Joshua D. Drake") wrote:
> > Does a solution have to be Open Source to be touted?
>
> Well, vendors of proprietary solutions are normally expected to _pay_ to
> get their products advertised.

Exactly, it's not even remotely the responsibility of the community to
promote non-community projects. The community should focus on what it is
releasing. I don't see where any commercial products fit into said
release as they are not what is being released and that is the point of
a press release.

Proprietary solutions have the ability to release their own press
releases at any moment. Marketing for said products should be touted by
their own marketing department. I thought this was the PostgreSQL
Advocacy list. ;-) I'm here to promote a kickass open source project.

> MySQL(tm) appears to be treated as an exception to that rule, in the
> "open source" community, which seems unfair, but that's presumably a
> matter for some other thread.

Which is one reason why I like PostgreSQL more than I do MySQL. ;-)

*runs back to tout'n PostgreSQL to all his neighbors*

-Robby

* Robby Russell | Owner.Developer.Geek
* PLANET ARGON  | www.planetargon.com
* Portland, OR  | robby(at)planetargon(dot)com
* 503.351.4730  | blog.planetargon.com
* PHP/PostgreSQL Hosting & Development