Re: Getting to 8.3 beta1

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Getting to 8.3 beta1
Date: 2007-09-27 17:01:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> AFAICS the correct test would be
> 	if (InArchiveRecovery)
> since needNewTimeLine can only be true iff InArchiveRecovery is true.

> It's often a good idea to disable archive_mode when doing a recovery to
> avoid trying to send files to the same archive as the primary, which
> would then also fail. So requiring XLogArchivingActive() also may not be
> desirable.

Well, that I think is exactly the core of the issue: the "input" archive
area might or might not be the same as the "output" one.  If they're
different then this isn't a critical problem; but we have no good way
to know that.

But your simplification may be a good idea anyway --- the fewer
behaviors to think about, the better.

Anyway, if you can test this tomorrow that'll be great.  I have enough
other things to do today ...