Re: best type for unix file system timestamp?

From: Robby Russell <robby(at)planetargon(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: best type for unix file system timestamp?
Date: 2004-07-30 23:52:02
Lists: pgsql-general

Exactly, with using 'timestamp' you gain data integrity as the database
will make sure that it only accepts valid timestamps. So, if your code
that you use to INSERT gets skewed someway, it will fail if you try to
insert an invalid number.

-Robby

On Fri, 2004-07-30 at 14:26, Glen Parker wrote:
> However it may be represented, it IS a timestamp, so why not use a timestamp
> data type if you have one available to you? That's what data types are for
> after all...
>
> > So, I'm recording the timestamp from some unix files.
> >
> > Any opinions as to whether it's best to use a "bigint"
> > (which matches the file system data) or a "timestamp"
> > (which might be easier to manipulate in the database)?

Robby Russell | Owner.Developer.Geek
PLANET ARGON | www.planetargon.com
Portland, OR | robby(at)planetargon(dot)com
503.351.4730 | blog.planetargon.com