7.2 - 7.4.2 production server migration issue

From: Christophe Musielak <cmusielak(at)akio-software(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: 7.2 - 7.4.2 production server migration issue
Date: 2004-07-30 12:32:02
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi everyone at the list,

Some months ago i asked you some questions about 7.2 - 7.4.3 migration.
Then i switched to the performance list to complain about postgres 7.2
poor performance and discussed about different ways to improbe
performances.

Two days ago we started our first production server 7.4.2 migration at
our biggest customer, a quite big postgres 7.2 database with millions of
rows in a quite complex scheme.

I must say that the result is even better than what we expected. The
average load of the standalone database server used to be around 1.5 -
2.0 with 7.2

The 7.4.2 server load average is now around 0.5 !!

The new database is answering very quickly at each request, and web
pages displays quicker as never before.

I'm here to say thank you for your great work guys. Nice job!

I'm now waiting for 7.5 :)

++
Christophe Musielak