Re: [HACKERS] 7.5 release notes

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>,PostgreSQL-documentation <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] 7.5 release notes
Date: 2004-07-26 01:31:47
Lists: pgsql-docspgsql-hackers
On Mon, 2004-07-26 at 00:55, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
> > On Sun, 2004-07-25 at 05:25, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > > I have completed the 7.5 release notes.  You can view them in HTML on
> > > the developer web page.  I have marked a few items with question marks
> > > that need to be addressed.  I am looking for improvements, even minor
> > > ones.  Either send in a patch or committers can modify the file
> > > directly.

Those were just examples of a suggested style change for some items.

> Basically, my goal with these release notes is to make it as clear as
> possible why this new feature would be valuable to the reader.

Completely Agree.

> If it makes our previous release look bad, so be it.

Oh.

>  For me, clarity and
> candor gain a lot more credibility than trying to cover over missing
> functionality in the past.  I am not saying we have to be so honest that
> we bash PostgreSQL, but in cases where we adjust wording to try to
> prevent ourselves from looking bad, it is best to be honest and clear
> about our limitations.  I think in the long run it gains us lots of
> credibility (and ultimately volunteers).

I see this as merely a half-full/half-empty viewpoint issue.

Honesty and clarity are wonderful things and I subscribe to them. Using
them only to describe your own viewpoint is not a reasonable point to
make in a hopefully rational discussion about writing style...

I'll go back to my docs now, but I guess we may relive this again when
you see some of the honest, clear and positive changes I am suggesting.
:)

--
Best Regards, Simon Riggs