Re: Planning for beta (was Re: Sketch of extending error handling

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Planning for beta (was Re: Sketch of extending error handling
Date: 2004-07-25 10:35:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, 2004-07-25 at 04:22, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Tom Lane wrote:
> >> Other than the spectacular lack of documentation, I don't think we are
> >> in bad shape at all.
>
> > OK, that helps. Alvaro had a number of items floating around and I
> > wasn't sure where he was on them. Same with PITR. Once the number of
> > open items for a project is over about six, I get lost. Is there a
> > sense you and the patch authors have identified them all and are working
> > on them so I don't have to worry about them? I don't care if they
> > aren't done as much as I don't want them to be forgotten.
>
> I think we know what we have to do. Alvaro, Simon, do you feel that
> we are on track for beta at the end of the month? Could you post
> your current to-do lists for NT and PITR?

Yes, I feel we are on track for beta.

All known/reported bugs located and solved.
Issue that Create Database doesn't generate redo not addressed, but
lower priority issue.

The TODO list below is about a third of what it was about 8 days ago.
All the refactoring I'd thought about is done, some error pockets
cleaned up - as well as a few investigations that I hadn't had time for.

I'm personally expecting to deliver these before Beta...
1. today (not in SGML)
2. design posted today

PITR TODO for 7.5
=================

HIGH
1. Documentation (sr) (now)
- Backup and Recovery chapter
- WAL chapter

MEDIUM
2. Start/End Backup: Parameter value sanity, e.g.
- is recoveryTargetTime > last checkpoint time
- is recoveryTargetTime > backup end time
- is recoveryTargetXid > last checkpoint xid
- is recoveryTargetXid > backup end txnid

3. Full test plan
- same status as regression tests
- allow re-test of functionality
- confirm viability on all ports

- re-write "example scenarios" into more of a test plan, so people can
see what's been tested and what to test their port against
- test scripts
- test server against those

4. Off-line log inspector (sr) (aug/sept)
- Locate a potential recovery point
- Confirm that the logs have the potential for recovery (to that point)

5. Write logging/redo for resource managers/action types
- Create Database (aug/sept?)
- any others?

LOWER
6. Performance testing

OTHER - related to WAL, but not PITR
7. PreallocXlogFiles

Comments, suggestions and additions welcome.

All assistance in completing the above is most welcome,

--
Best Regards, Simon Riggs