Re: Best way to recover from crash?

From: Steve Wampler <swampler(at)noao(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Postgres-General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Best way to recover from crash?
Date: 2004-07-22 18:04:23
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 10:59, Tom Lane wrote:

> I think you'd be foolish not to initdb and reload from the backups.
> You have no way to know how extensive the data damage is ... you might
> work around the problems you see now, only to find something else
> later after you've put more data into the corrupted DB.

Thanks, Tom. I did that and what you say makes sense. I was
just overly worried about the down time since the backup database
dump was well over 4GB and looking for a quick fix. On the
other hand, a 1-hour downtime (what it took) isn't so bad,
and knowing things are solid is worth more than that!

Thanks again,
Steve
--
Steve Wampler -- swampler(at)noao(dot)edu