Converting a plperlu function to a plpgsql function

From: Devin Whalen <devin(at)synapticvision(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Converting a plperlu function to a plpgsql function
Date: 2004-07-22 14:49:53
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hello,

I am trying to convert a database function that is written in perl to a
PL/pgSQL function. However, there a a couple of lines that I don't
think can be converted.

First line:
my @active_tables=split(/,/,$tables);

Is there anyway to split a variable like the perl split above?

Second line:

if ($r=~/^-([0-9]?)([A-z_]+)/)
{
my $locid = $1;
my $table = $2;

Is there any way to to regular expressions similar to above. I need to
be able to save the matches for later use. I know you can do regular
expressions in sql but I can't find any equivalent for the above.

Now you may be saying that why don't I just leave it in perl? Well, I
would like to but my boss wants me to convert this to PL/pgSQL....long
story. Anyway, if it can't be done it can't be done. But I was just
wondering if anyone has any advice.

Thanks for the help.

Later

--