Best way to recover from crash?

From: Steve Wampler <swampler(at)noao(dot)edu>
To: Postgres-General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Best way to recover from crash?
Date: 2004-07-22 14:14:59
Lists: pgsql-general

Immediately after finally deploying our PG database up
on our mountain-top observatory, we got hit by lightening.
(The machines were *supposed* to be installed on a RUPS,
but weren't. Sigh)

A file was lost. Now many simple commands cause the
DB to 'crash':
lab.devel.configdb=# vacuum;
NOTICE: Rel attributes_table: Uninitialized page 60523 - fixing
NOTICE: Rel attributes_table: Uninitialized page 60524 - fixing
NOTICE: Rel attributes_table: Uninitialized page 60525 - fixing
NOTICE: Rel attributes_table: Uninitialized page 60526 - fixing
FATAL 2: open of /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_clog/0000 failed: No such file
or directory
before or while processing the request.
The connection to the server was lost. Attempting reset: NOTICE:
Message from PostgreSQL backend:
The Postmaster has informed me that some other backend
died abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
I have rolled back the current transaction and am
going to terminate your database system connection and exit.
Please reconnect to the database system and repeat your query.
Failed.
!# \q

I do nightly backups of the DBs so aside from observing time
lost this isn't catestrophic, but since it takes so long to
restore from backup (some of the DBs are fairly large) I was
wondering if there's a 'known procedure' for quickly recovering
from the above.

Thanks!
Steve
--
Steve Wampler -- swampler(at)noao(dot)edu